|Click on image to enlarge.|
Some brief thoughts on the very early morning (my time; AEST) case reports from the KSA. There were 8 cases announced which included 2 deaths plus another 3 deaths from previously announced cases. No asymptomatic cases (h/t @HelenBranswell) or healthcare workers and few mentions of comorbid disease were included; all bucking the recent trend. There were 4 possible hospital-acquired infections listed too, including illness onset from 11-May. Clearly infection prevention and control (ICP) messaging/action is still not succeeding, at least in Riyadh and Al-Madinah.
Also announced this morning was a second imported case into the USA.
- The Patient (possibly a 44-year old male) was symptomatic - including a cough, (later some diarrhoea), fever and chills (1-May) - during flights from Jeddah to London, from London to to Boston>Atlanta>Orlando, Florida.[2,3]
- Symptomatic does not necessarily mean infectious 
- Patient was a healthcare provider (?worker, HCW)
- Patient was admitted to hospital in Orlando 9-May and is isolated.
- Over 500 potential contacts from the US-based flights are being contacted and after 1,000 person hours by CDC staff over the weekend, no-one has been found to be reporting illness so far.
- Little risk of spread from casual contact.
*I'm being sarcastic