The latest Brazil MOH report on microcephaly was released earlier in the week – Report #14.
The following is a summary of info after translation via Google.
· There have been 5,640 reported suspected diagnoses of microcephaly sometime unspecified in 2015
o 4,107 remain under investigation
o 1,533 cases have been investigated and classified
- 583 (38% of those investigated, 10% of all reported) have been confirmed
- 67 (11% of confirmed microcephaly cases; 1% of suspected cases) have been laboratory confirmed as Zika virus infections (no detail provided on method or whether mum/foetus/infant/samples etc.
- 950 (62% of those investigated, 17% of all reported) have been discarded
· The MOH notes that if a diagnosis of microcephaly was confirmed, then the mother is to be considered ZIKV positive whether laboratory data are available/provided or not